Lionel Messi,with the goal against Deportivo Alaves,hasbecome the leading goalscorer in La Liga for the 2019–2020 season and has secured the seventh Pichichi award. Last year, he has equalled the number of Pichichi titles with Athletic Bilbao star Telmo Zarrawith six awards. With the seventh one added to the list,Messi is creating his own records that will be broken in the future.
In the match against DeportivoAlaves,Messi scored a couple of goals whichtook him to 25 for the season and once again become the leading goalscorer in La Liga. His pass to Ansu Fati in the initial stages of the game led him to another record of most number of assists in a season and he surpassed his former teammate Xavi.
Lionel Messi is very much disappointed after their defeat against Villarreal which led them the title to slip away. Messi has said that if they are continuing to play like this they will be losing the Champions League match against Napoli. On Friday,Barca endured their sixth defeat in the league while Real captured their first title since 2017.
Barcelona was defeated by Osasuna for 2–1 with the goals from Jose Arnaiz and Roberto Torres and the goal scored by Lionel Messi wasn’t enough to make the team come back to their original form. With the defeat, they are seven points behind Real Madridand they have secured the title with the win against Villarreal.
Former Premier League star Darren Bent believes Paul Pogba will be eager to prove himself when he returns to action later this month. The France international has missed most of the current campaign for Manchester United with a nagging ankle injury and he underwent an operation for the same at the beginning of the year.
The World Cup-winning midfielder was initially fancied to return to the playing field for the final couple of weeks of the season but he will now player a bigger role with the coronavirus pandemic delaying the conclusion of the campaign by three months. Speaking on TalkSPORT, Bent believes Pogba has received unfair criticism despite his reduced gametime this term and he should be keen to prove a point when the season recommences.
Former Leeds United star Noel Whelan has said that Philippe Coutinho remains a fantastic player and he has the chance to redeem himself by returning to the Premier League next term. The Brazil international has struggled for consistent form since leaving Liverpool for Barcelona two years ago and he is currently out on loan at Bayern Munich.
The playmaker has bagged an impressive tally of nine goals and eight assists from 32 outings for the German champions but his contributions have come in clusters rather than spread out over the course of the season. Coutinho is expected to return to the Camp Nou this summer with Bayern having already decided against his permanent signature and he has been touted to return to the Premier League next season.
Former Barcelona president Joan Laporta is interested in bringing back Pep Guardiola to the club. Laporta has said that he is most likely to run in the presidential election of next year. He is excited about running for elections and is aware that things will dramatic in 2021 but he has people whom he trusts. He was the president of Barca from 2003–2010 when Guardiola led the club to many victories and to win many silverwares.
Under Guardiola, they became one of the dominant teams of Europe. In the period 2008–2012, they have claimed nearly 14 titles which includes La Liga titles and two Champions League title. The team also won the Club World Cup and Copa del Rey twice. Guardiola departed Barca on 2012 but he remains as an icon for the club.
Barcelona legend Rivaldo believes his former club should sanction the sale of Ousmane Dembele, who has struggled with regular injury concerns. The France international joined the Blaugrana from Borussia Dortmund in the summer of 2017 and he has since been restricted to only 74 appearances across all competitions.
That has been due to the various hamstring injuries which have kept him out of action and Rivaldo feels the Catalan giants should either sell or offer him as a makeweight for one of their summer targets, he told: “Ousmane Dembele signed for Barcelona almost three years ago and he has already had enough time to establish himself in the club and prove his value. It’s possible that he will never show his quality at the club.”
Everton star Richarlison has indicated that there has been no concrete interest from Barcelona despite the speculation in the media. The Brazil international has been a regular in the Toffees attack since his move from Watford in 2018 and he has already contributed 26 goals in all competitions for the club.
Amidst this, the Blaugrana have been credited with an interest in signing him but Richarlison has stressed that he does not prefer to ponder over the speculation. He added that he is ‘very happy’ at Goodison Park but would one day prefer to join a great club such as Barcelona, he told: “I heard from the press, I don’t know if there was anything concrete.
Inter Milan chief Beppe Marotta has dismissed the ongoing speculation linking Lautaro Martinez with a possible move to Barcelona. The Argentine has made a vast improvement from his debut season at the Nerazzurri and he has already amassed 16 goals from 28 appearances across all competitions this term.
His form has caught the attention of some of Europe’s elite and of late, he has been linked with a summer move to Barcelona, who are eyeing a competitor for Luis Suarez, who has recently suffered multiple knee injuries. In response to the rumours, Marotta has clarified that the Argentina international is only interested in playing for the Nerazzurri and won’t part ways with the club unless he puts a transfer request on the table, he told Sky Italia: “Rumours regarding Lautaro? He is very young and improving. He is only interested in wearing the glorious shirt of Inter. This club has nothing to envy others. Players can leave only if they ask to leave.”
Chelsea attacker Pedro has said that he would welcome the prospect of returning to Barcelona in the future. The 31-year-old has been with the Blues for the past four-and-a-half-seasons but his role has diminished during the current campaign where Frank Lampard has preferred the likes of Willian, Christian Pulisic and Callum Hudson-Odoi ahead of him in the pecking order.
Moreover, he has been afforded with just one start over the past two months and it is quite clear that he has fallen out-of-favour at the west London side. Pedro’s current deal is due to expire at the end of the season when asked about a probable comeback to the Camp Nou, the Spaniard was more than open to the possibility.
Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde claimed that he has run out of words when it comes to describing Lionel Messi’s brilliance. The Argentine superstar was influential for Barcelona in the recent 5-1 victory over Real Valladolid. Messi was able to score twice in the game – including a free kick that provided has 50th goal from such a scenario. There were also assists for Luis Suarez and Arturo Vidal. This victory helped Barcelona to return to the top of the standings. After a difficult start of the campaign, the Catalan outfit have picked up seven consecutive wins.
Messi’s form was questioned in the first few weeks of the season, as he faced issues about injuries. There were also uncertainties surrounding the arrival of Neymar. All these contributed to a difficult start for Barcelona we have been able to open a solitary point advantage over archrivals Real Madrid. The recent postponement of the El Clasico means that Barcelona will have to wait several weeks before they go up against Madrid. Until then, they will be happy to sit at the top standings with such big wins. The big victory also allowed Valverde to give a debut to a 16-year-old. Ansu Fati, who is highly regarded in European football, was given an opportunity to enjoy his second league start.